Staff Profile for Attorney Janice Downey
Attorney and mediator Janice Downey practices family law in the courtroom and by working with clients and their families outside the courtroom setting.
She is committed to providing strong advocacy to Wine Country Family Law & Bankruptcy Office clients as well as maintaining a high degree of professionalism and respect for the law.
Janice’s knowledge of family law helps clients in resolving their issues and disputes. She understands the emotional toll that family law issues can cause, and brings a compassionate, caring approach to working with clients.
In addition to helping them resolve their legal matters, she works to help clients to move forward with their lives.
As a mediator, Janice helps clients through what can be very difficult experiences dealing with family-related issues.
Formerly a resident of Marin County, Janice now resides in Sonoma with her husband. She enjoys hiking with her dogs, traveling, organic gardening and cooking.
- Sonoma County Bar Association, 2009 – Present (Member)
- Napa County Bar Association, 2017 – Present (Member)
- American Bar Association
- Sonoma County Women in Law
Pro Bono Activities
- Member, Board of Directors and volunteer mediator, Recourse Mediation Services, 2012 – Present
- Settlement Conference Panelist for the Sonoma County, Superior Court
- American Bar Association Military Pro Bono Project, 2012 – 2016
- Rotary International
- Empire College School of Law, Santa Rosa, California, J.D., 2008, cum laude
Areas of Practice
- Child Custody
- Child Support
- Legal Separation
- Spousal Support
- Property Division
- Contempt of Court
- Enforcement of Orders
- Modification of Orders
- The State Bar of California, 2008
- S. District Court, Northern District of California, 2008